Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pont de Powerscourt

#5 - Percy Bridge (or Pont de Powerscourt) in Hinchinbrooke - June 27, 2009


Built in 1861, this bridge is the oldest bridge still standing in Québec. It is 180 feet long and crosses la Rivière Chatauguay. It seems to have 2 names...the maps and websites say "Pont de Powerscourt" but it says "Percy Bridge" on the bridge itself.


We were camping in the area and I hadn`t planned on going to visit a bridge but it rained all morning and after playing cards and board games, we had lunch and Serge said, "Wasn`t there a covered bridge around here?" I didn`t have any information with me but I looked at the map to see if I could remember in what general area it was and there it was on the map! So we hopped into the car and drove off!


What it didn't say on the map was that it is closed for construction! So we jumped over the concrete blocks, propped my camera on one of them ( I didn't have my tri-pod!) and took a picture. I didn't let the kids explore here though...too dangerous!

During the summer the bridge was taken apart and is being put back together...I am hoping to go back and see it once it`s done!

No comments:

Post a Comment